top of page

Post Secondary

Letter of Intent

Students must submit their letter of intent no later than May 30th of each school year if they plan on attending a postsecondary education institution the following September. The letter must include the details of their intent, such as where the student is planning to attend, when they are starting, what courses they plan to take, how much tuition is, and the cost of books and other supplies. 

The letter of intent is also required if the student is planning on completing a practicum. Similar information on the details of the practicum is required. 

Applications can be found here. 

Responses will be made by the first week of July. The Post Secondary Funding Pool covers the full costs of university and college programs, but does not cover trades.

Education counselors at our local schools can help students with post secondary applications. The registration fee can be provided if a student can prove that help is needed.


For grade 12 students entering post secondary education for the first time have the option to meet with members of a First Nation Liaison Department located at the post secondary institution they are planning to attend. The First Nation Liaison Department can help answer questions and help the student navigate themselves around campus and the libraries. 

Funding Requirements

Funding for Post-secondary is not intended to replace other sources of income.  Education assistance covers living allowance (rent, food, travel), tuition, and books and supplies (pens, paper, day timer).  Travel to and from the institute of choice is included if the institution is not located near your permanent residence.

Students will be funded for only one career choice.  It is important to choose the right career. We encourage parents to be more active when the child is making course selections. Parental proactivity in the participation of the child’s course selection will likely result in the child making suitable choices and staying in school. Students experiencing difficulties with their studies must contact the school counselor or Education Department as soon as possible.  

Students must send in their transcripts every semester to ensure that they are still attending all courses and a copy of their official transcript at the end of every school year. 

Students must take a minimum of four courses for full funding. If a student is enrolled in only two courses then he or she do not qualify for living allowance, but tuition and books may still be covered. 

All students receiving funding must be registered as members of Hagwilget.

The post secondary institution must be fully recognized and accredited. 

Payment Schedule 

Education cheques are deposited monthly on the first day of each month.  Cheques are based on attendance, number of dependents, marital status and rental locations.  The Education Department deals with the Royal Bank, students without a Royal Bank account will receive cheques in the mail. Bank transfers to other institutions will be done through the mail.  Any changes to accounts or institutions must be forwarded to the Education Department.  Cheques will be issued to the student only.

bottom of page